Monday, November 3, 2008

THE look and a drive home!

This is one of the few posts I will do that is not about my kids, but being a kid. As a kid I knew everything, just ask me-I would have told you. Time after time my parents would sit back, watch me make mistakes and help me learn, grow, and love me anyway.

I remember being warned not to leave West Bend one night as a teenager, but I knew better and ended up two hours away, lost, alone in the middle of the night. I made a phone call and my dad came to pick me up-he was rather quiet but gave me THE look, and drove me home.

A few years later right after I graduated high school I moved to Chicago with a friend of mine, I KNEW it was the right decision. Four months later I made a phone call late at night and the next morning, there was my dad he drove down to Chicago, he was rather quiet but gave me THE look and drove me home.

This was my life, I KNEW everything, and time after time, after being "right" there were my parents with THE look, and usually driving me home.

I am 30 now, and have things changed??

Well that leads me to today, it was a beautiful November day, almost 70 degrees, so when I got done at work I decided to take my kids to a park that is on the way home and kind of out in the country, so of course I was the only one there. About five minutes after I got there a car pulled up next to the van and a guy got out and put his chair RIGHT next to my car and just sat there watching me and the kids.
After thinking for a minute I called my dad, told him about the man and he said "I am in the area, I will be there in 3 to 4 minutes." For anyone who knows my dad, he isn't the strongest or fastest person out there, but he pulled up, gave me THE same look, and followed me and the kids home.

What is "THE LOOK", it is unconditional love and safety! I am soo grateful to have parents that love me and that would do anything for me. I am sure that nothing would have happened, and I am not sure why my dad was in the area BUT I am so glad he was so he could, give me THE look, and follow me home.
I love you mom and dad!!

1 comment:

Janan said...

Aren't parents great! I was always told by my dad that he would drive anywhere to get me if I needed him to. I have never taken him up on that offer, but it was so nice to know he would without hesitation rescue me! Prents are awesome!! Especially when we are all grown up and on our own and the still are so willing to rescue us!